Did you know that the Black Mountain Druid Order offers a FREE course in Foundational Druidry as practiced by our Order?
Click here to learn more.
Animal wisdom is the wisdom our spirit animals teach us. A spirit animal is an animal soul that functions as a teacher, companion and helper. Some consider the practice of taking a spirit animal as the practice of drawing the archetypal energy of that animal into yourself.
You may have more than one spirit animal, but most people have a primary spirit animal who serves as both familiar and helper.
If you don’t already have a spirit animal here are some ways of finding out what your spirit animal is.
Ask yourself the following questions and see if your spirit animal reveals itself to you:
- Is there a particular animal that you find yourself drawn to?
- When alone in the woods, is there a certain animal you find yourself looking for?
- What animal do you enjoy learning about?
- Does a particular animal keep showing up in your dreams?
- Have you ever been bitten, chased or attacked by a particular animal?
- Do you collect paintings, statues, stuffed animals or trinkets of a particular animal?
- If you’ve ever gone hiking, were you followed by a particular animal?
If you’re still uncertain after reading this list, then do a brief meditation before bedtime, and ask your spirit animal to reveal itself to you. Make a note of your dreams that night. Did any animal show up? If not, keep doing a meditation and recording your dreams until your spirit animal reveals itself to you.
Need a little extra help? Here’s a Discover Your Spirit Animal Meditation by Cerridwen Raineach, a member of Black Mountain Druid Order.
Explore the significance of some common spirit animals by clicking a link below.